2014 has certainly been a year of healthy changes in my life, and in our household. Some of these (exchanging my daily coffee for green tea, for example), have been harder than others. One that hasn't: this granola recipe. I have whipped up a batch of this recipe almost weekly since Christmas, when I gave a similar recipe for gifts. Since then, I've perfected a batch that we love, and gobble up before the week's end. My family is also constantly asking me for more. It's low on sugar, and without all of the add-ins of granola you find in the store. I was given it by a coworker, and have evolved in to fit out taste buds perfectly. I love it!
makes 6 cups
4 c. oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/2 pecans, chopped
1/4 c. flax seeds
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. sunflower seed oil
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix first 7 ingredients until combined.
3. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment, and pour oats into pan.
4. In a saucepan, heat honey and oil, just until warm. Add vanilla.
5. Pour half of honey/oil mixture over oats, and stir. Pour in rest and repeat.
6. Cook in oven for 40 minutes, stirring to coat oats every 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!
This stuff is addictive, I'm just warning you. I eat it pretty much daily on smoothies, plain, or anywhere I can justify. Last week I had it with banana pancakes and almond butter!